Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Days of the Dead


Hey, I’m 17 years old and I really enjoy what we’re doing at the Oasis Skateboard Factory. This is my first year at OSF and it’s a great school if you want to go into graphic designing or building your own skateboard/longboard. The theme I was trying to go for was a Days of the Dead skull, but with a nice stained background. We went to the Clay and Paper Theatre workshop to help out with the Night of Dread, and that’s what inspired me to do this deck like I did.

I had a basic design in my head that I wanted to do, so I found an image of a skull on the computer and took out a bunch of stuff and just made it a bit bigger. The first stencil layer was just for the white background and the second stencil layer was the face and the candle. To finish off my design I just filled the rest by hand with colour. I like the contrast of the white on top of the dark stained background.

I feel like I could have done better, but this was my first longboard. Next time hopefully it will turn out even better.