Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Calavera Pin-Up


I'm a Toronto chick (born and raised), 18 years old and running. I've been part of Oasis skateboard program for 2 years now and this longboard is the one I take great pride and joy in. When I was thinking about the layout of my piece, I tried to make it look as if she was leaning on the right side while her shoes filled in the bottom, giving the design more of a flow. Since this is my first longboard, I wanted to use the shape of the deck to my advantage, as well as have a nude woman pin-up, but I had to keep reminding myself to keep it classy and school appropriate.

The nude woman is based on a well-known celebration that takes place in Mexico (Days Of The Dead) that I take great interest in. Sadly, I never got around to adding the designs on her face, but in the long run the combination of black and white with the dark chestnut stain brought my kick ass design to life.

With all of my artwork, I try to challenge myself to think outside the box and shun the thought of headaches and the hair ripping frustration of putting my complex designs together. I like to "push the envelope" detail wise. After Oasis makes me leave this family (don’t think I'll be going without a fight!), I'm going to stay in touch with my art and remember the lessons learned about communication and working well with others.

I'm looking forward to working on another deck as well as getting my work known worldwide!