Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, May 14, 2010

Hot Dog


I am 17 years old and I live in Toronto near the beach. I’ve been a student here at Oasis Skateboard Factory since the second semester.

This board was inspired by Frank Kozik for his random animals and foods smoking cigarettes. I chose to make a silly cartoon hotdog with camouflage colours (ketchup, mustard and relish) in the background to add context for the hotdog. I made the hotdog in a cartoon style to emphasize the humour and wackiness. The letters and colours are bold and bright to make this board stick out from others.

The board has a simple message: to simply bring laughter and for people to appreciate how random it is. This board also serves as a reminder for people to just have fun and bring joy.

This is the first board I have completed and I have never felt more satisfied with anything like this in a very long time. Before I made this board I was terrible at making stencils, but through this experience I have upgraded my skills and learned a lot about the building process. I am really proud of the results of my final deck!