Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Diamond Dogs


This is my second semester at the Oasis Skateboard Factory and this is my fifth and favourite board I’ve made.

There aren’t really any underlying themes in this board, it’s just a thank you to my father for buying my first one. The inspiration behind this board is the album artwork for David Bowie's album Diamond Dogs (my father’s request).

The materials I used were painter’s tape, black spray paint, wood stain, gloss, and a blade. I made the design by staining the wood grain then taping it off and laying the posterized image of David Bowie onto the board by pressing the graphite on the back of the image onto the tape with a sharp pencil. Once I had the image on the board I thickened the lines with a Sharpie, cut them out and sprayed it.

The elements or principals of design I focussed on were mostly the use of lines; I just tried to make sure the lines were bold and clear on top of the stained background. It makes it a lot easier to see on the dark background. I wasn’t really trying to communicate anything, I just wanted to make something sick for my dad and I hope he enjoys it!