Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Squid


Hi. This is my first semester at Oasis Skateboard Factory and this is my first board. Originally I was just going to have a squid on my board, but then thought it would be a more solid graphic filling up my board by having the squid eating a bowl of rice with chopsticks. Ha ha!

My board is made of 100% Canadian Maple. My board was stained with a light blue/turquoise colour dye, stenciled and then spray painted. First I spray painted the background of my board using stencils, but then I masked out my board with tape and cut out my black layer so it wouldn’t show any separations. The solid black outline makes my design look really graphic and bold.

I have learned a lot at the OSF and I am very happy with the outcome of my first board. I’m hyped that I get to make skateboards in school! The next board I am going to make will be for a local comic book artist (helping him put his art on a series of boards) that I am very excited about.