Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Roisaurous



This is my first term at OSF. The theme of "Roisaurous" is freedom to be a little crazy. By choosing a character that reminds me of childhood, I'm trying to state that youth need to take a break, stop trying to mature so quickly and just relax (maybe give yourself some time to day dream).

My inspiration for this brand comes from our society's obsession with growing up so quickly and is meant to question it. I'm trying to communicate how little imagination some people appear to have, how it's so easy to lose your imagination while trying to mature at an unhealthy rate, that maybe we just need to take a minute and think about that how amazing youth really is.

This board was hand-made, and the graphic was hand-drawn, hand -tenciled and hand-painted. We used 100% Canadian maple ply for the deck. I was very happy about how this board turned out; the colours are amazing and the image is crisp. I was also surprised at how quickly a board can be finished if you put your mind to it.

My next step is to work on the image more, and clean it up a bit, so I can make more boards like this one.