Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Kutz


I’ve been going to OSF for about a month now and this is my first custom board. I wanted to use my characters from my new brand “Kutz” to launch my brand to the public. I came up with the name “Kutz” for my brand because of the characters I’ve been drawing for awhile; I really like creepy cute things! The characters I plan to put on my line of boards are supposed to represent the young woman in street art trying to get their stuff out there, even if they might get a couple “kutz” on the way.

My first board was a pintail longboard pressed out of Canadian Maple using a Roarockit vacuum bag. I used tape stencils to create my graphic. I put my character on the side of my board and enlarged it so it would have a dynamic asymmetrical balance. I misted tints and shades of colours on to my board and combined them to make a more vibrant complementary colour scheme. This made a really eye-catching board that I think will appeal to other youth like myself.

I’m happy I transferred to OSF; I got to build and design my own skateboard for my first project. I’m really looking forward to getting sponsors, putting my work out to the public and actually getting paid for my artwork.