Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Spore


My board relates to my brand Spore because my board is an image of a collection of mushrooms. This is the first personal board that I have made at Oasis. This is an extension of previous artwork that I have done in the past, which included the same image on a series of high school lockers. My inspiration for my brand Spore comes from the appreciation of beauty I find in non-traditionally beautiful things.

The materials I used included spray paint, and tape for the stencils. Paint marker was also used in the end to add in the white dots on top of the red mushrooms. The elements I used in this design were lines: there’s lots of bold lines on the board that make it stand out. I also used bold colour, and curved shapes. The white dots on the mushrooms added texture to the whole look of the board. The principle of movement was also used because there are a lot of curved lines in the middle of the board.

What I am trying to communicate is a design that is original and something you wouldn’t usually see on a board. Mushrooms with faces are something that I would consider examples of untraditional beauty and creativity. I am very happy with this board, and I’m proud that my first personal board turned out better than I thought it would. I thank Oasis for giving me this opportunity to complete a longboard with my own design which has been something I’ve been wanting for a while.