Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Black Inc.



I enjoy long walks on the beach, moonlit dinners, and long conversation. I also make longboards.

My custom board is an extension of the brand I’ve created at OSF.  My brand is called Black Inc. The overall theme of my brand is line drawings done in black ink.  I also take a bit of inspiration from modern tattoo style art. Before getting a tattoo, you always receive a preliminary concept sketch. Usually this sketch is black and white, with small amounts of shading. That’s really what I’m trying to achieve.

The theme of my graphic on this board is beauty and freedom. That may not be the message directly conveyed, but that’s how I feel when I look at this board.  It was important for me to produce a graphic that I was completely in love with. I want to send this board out into the world feeling confident in the fact that whoever takes it with them will love it forever and I really hope I achieved that.
 
Like I said, I’m really inspired by tattoo art. Not so much the old school tattoo art. Anchors, and hearts with words “mom” scrawled across them, don’t really do it for me. Lately I’m really into Asian inspired tattoo art. There’s a shop called Chronic Ink that I really, really love. I can honestly say I like every single thing they do, and I follow them religiously. I just adore everything they’re doing.

For this board I used Canadian hard rock maple, lots of glue, a roarockit vacuum press, a skill saw, and various sanding utensils. I have two different coloured veneers; a brown and a teal. I feel the colours look wonderful together. So warm and earthy. I’m very happy with how it turned out.