Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Hard Core Mermaid



I’m 17 years old.  This is my first semester at Oasis Skateboard Factory and so far it’s been awesome.  I’ve been drawing for as long as I can remember but I started taking it seriously in grade 8.  My inspiration is from tattoos, horror film themes, hard core and grunge.  My drawing style is realistic but I also enjoy doing cartoons.

For my first board graphic I chose a hardcore mermaid.  I chose this because I thought it would be good to see how far I could push myself and see how well I could do it.  I also really like mermaids and I wanted to incorporate my personality into my board., and felt I could do so, by doing a kick ass mermaid design.

I used 7 ply maple and I mostly used spray paint and paint markers to do this board.  I got help from other classmates with some of the overall graphic components.  The small details and black outlining were all done with paint marker.  I chose to design the mermaid with piercings, a spacer and tattoos, all inspired by my own personal appearance .The hair of the mermaid a pastel colour, a light pink because it fits with the new mainstream style "Pastel Goth".  I used a colour fade and blending in the background to add depth and texture.  The colour is very vibrant and bright, because I wanted it to be hardcore but not too dark and angry.

I am trying to communicate what I stand for as an artist and as a person.  I’m weird.  So I decided to do something badass but awesome at the same time.  It’s a generic design but I’ve twisted it to fit who I am as a person, my style.

I just really wanted to get my first board finished.  I was so anxious and couldn’t wait to get it done.  I’m really happy with the end result!