Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Student Brand: MTS

I am a first semester student at OSF.  My brand is MTS or Menace to Society.  For my first board, I spraypainted the letters MTS with red spraypaintwith a black background and gold speckles.  I painted the board red and taped the letters off, creating a reverse stencil.

The board represents me because I haven’t followed society’s rules. For example, I haven’t been in school for years. I picked the red and black colour scheme to reflect this bold, in your face feeling. I wanted the colours on the board to really pop. I used the brighter colour for the letters so they stand out.

This is my first skateboard and I think making it was sick. It’s cool to know how something I’ve always used is made. On my next board I will pay more attention to the wood grain to prevent chipping. Making a board was a cool and unique assignment that you wouldn’t normally be able to get to do at a school to get credits.