Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Mint


This is my first year at OSF.  For my personal board assignment I decided to paint a feather in a watercolour style using acrylic paint onto a longboard. I originally saw a similar image as a tattoo and decided that it's shape would be well suited to the shape of a longboard. I also decided to leave the natural woodgrain showing in the background as it sort of added to the "organic" feel.

This all ties in quite well to the feel that I am trying to create for my brand, Mint. It's something clean and fresh as this type of "fine arts" approach to skateboard/longboard graphics is not something I typically see. I am trying to keep with an organic feel to the graphics, using nature ihages to inspire me.

The board itself was made by pressing together 7 maple veneers on a mold using a vacuum seal Roarockit bag. Then the edges were sanded down until they were all flush, and then rounded. After everything was sanded down one last time and then I began to paint on my graphic.

I learned a lot about forethought and planning when it came to this project, and about paying attention to detail. Overall I am satisfied with how this came out.