Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, March 12, 2015

HomeSpun SkateBoarding


 Hi my name is Mikel and brand is an organic, handmade skateboard company called HomeSpun SkateBoarding. My brand exists to spread the beauty of handmade objects. This my first board at OSF in my first semester here. The image on my board is a tree god; King Derwent is a character I made up for my brand.

My board is Canadian Maple pressed using Roarockit technology.  I enlarged my sketch and traced it onto the board and then woodburned the design on; woodburning is the style of graphic application I will be using for my brand because it’s natural and doesn’t use chemicals. I highlighted parts with green watercolour to draw the viewer’s attention and to have rhythm from the top of the board down to the bottom. Instead of sealing the board with toxic spray, I waxed the board with organic bees wax…I am the first student to do this at OSF!

On my next board I will be better at doing curves with the woodburner (this was difficult on my first try!). I will also be able to get more detail in the image as my woodburning skills develop. I am very proud of this successful project and OSF has helped me get back on track with school. I haven’t missed a day yet and I can’t wait to get onto the next project!