Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Saturday, October 24, 2015

HomeSpun


I’m 17 years old. I’m from Toronto and I’m a skater boy. I am in my second year at OSF. My brand is Homespun skatebaording and we exist to handcraft a healthy ride.

My board’s graphic is a bamboo based graphic. It has modern pastel colours that are bright and cheerful. My board shows the bamboo grain because brand is all about being eco-friendly and showing nature’s beauty. My inspiration is from Quasi Skateboards/Mother Collective and Polar skateboards. I like the abstract patterns in their artwork.

I taped lines on my board in a random pattern to expose the wood grain and to make it look like bamboo stalks. The black lines stand out against the multicoloured background so the emphasis is on the bamboo stalks and the natural wood. I wanted to create a relaxed feel with the natural grain and calm pastel colours.

For this board I tried an experiment. I tried to make a really light board using four hard rock canadian maple and one bamboo layer. It didn’t really work out. I’ve created abstact designs by taping sections of my board before, but this time I added leaves to make the lines look like bamboo. I learned I can use this technique to get very different results every time.