Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Saturday, December 12, 2015

ATLAST We're LOST!




I’m seventeen years old and a new student at the Oasis Skateboard Factory. My brand is ATLAST. ATLAST exists to celebrate and accept that we’re lost.

The theme of my skateboard graphic is being lost and not wanting to be found. I executed this theme by placing a path in the middle of the picture plane of my pintail longboard. I surrounded it with two oddly-coloured trees to disorient the viewer. I then added signs showing different directions and path. The main focus of the board is the dark blue ATLAST sign. The arrow is broken and pointing in the opposite direction of the made path. This represents ATLAST’s decision to never follow paths that are made for you and instead revel in being lost. My inspiration for this board came from the scene in Alice in Wonderland where Alice finds her self lost in the forest.

In my design, I used muted contrasting colours to avoid a discordant image. But I also used a range of analogous colours. The green in the grass brings the blue in the trees and the ATLAST sign together with the yellow ochre path. The focal point is ATLAST arrow that advertises my brand. I also brought a sense of depth by creating shadows in the trees and giving a sense of perspective with the winding path.

After pressing and shaping this pintail I sanded the board with varied grits of sand paper. I then woodburned my graphic into my board to create a outline of the image as well as showing the wood grain in the trees. After that I used watercolours to stain the wood.

Personally, I’m very happy with my board. I love how the woodburned wood grain looks and how the colours looked after the board was sealed. I learned how to apply a glazed finish and how to how to measure and drill truck holes.