Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Mossy Meadows

Mossy Meadows is about story telling, putting comics on skateboards instead of paper.
Like in a comic, this board is the introduction of the main protagonist of Mossy Meadows given the name "Ghost Reaper" (character on skateboard above) by fellow farmers. Mossy Meadows is the name of the farm that this character owns.
My inspirations to create this brand is the farm that my family owns in Australia. I'm also inspired by old slasher films like "Friday the 13th" and Michael Myers "Halloween." 
This board is a pintail and it is made out of hard rock maple. To create this dark creepy skateboard graphic, I used tape stencilling and spray paint as well as a paint marker to do the fine detailing. Two elements of design I used were shape and form. I made the barn look 3-D by using two point perspective. I incorporated flat shapes to give the design a comic feel. I created emphasis by using a lot of ivory on the character to make him pop out from the black and red. I followed the rule of thirds like you would in a photo, placing the character slightly to the right to make your eye pan across the board as if you're reading a comic. 

I was quite surprised with how my first board turned out. I thought it was going to come out really messy, but it did the opposite and came out really clean. I get excited with what I'm doing and rush my art sometimes. Using the tape stencil technique taught me to go really lightly with paint, and not rush my art. :•)