Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

A new Mini from ATLAST:

I’m 18 years old and this is my third semester at OSF. My brand is ATLAST and we exist to celebrate that we’re lost.
My graphic was inspired by the Polar Skate Co. Kevin Rodriguez deck. I didn’t mimic his Henri Matisse style but I did like the colour scheme of cocktail pink and turquoise. They remind me of vintage 1950s colours. I also liked the framing of the image in the middle of the deck. The image I placed in the frame is a window in a desert scape. It represents a day dream, looking out your window at what you want to see. It has a surreal quality that fits with my brand- how did I get here? It’s also pretty and calm suggesting that it’s not all bad to be lost.
I pressed this deck out of a Roarockit Mini kit and did an intense sanding job. For the graphic I used paint marker, alcohol makers and a ruler for the first time in forever! I used contrast to build the image of the sand dunes, using white on black to create emphasis. It also creates movement, drawing your eye around the board. I made a frame inside a frame, creating a focal point. There’s unity in the colour scheme, repeating pink in the outside frame and in the curtains of the window. The race stripe on the back is way of tying the pink and blue together in a way that creates movement and gives the board a classic vintage look.
Overall it’s not my favourite work but I don’t mind because I was experimenting with different materials. I usually woodburn decks so it was a good experience to play with new mediums. If I were to do something differently I wouldn’t have used alcohol markers because they are difficult to use on the wood grain. Moving forward I’m going to build on the idea of a frame in a frame and continue this colour scheme but with different mediums like ink.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing