Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Homespun

Hello, my brand is Homespun Skateboarding. We exist to handcraft a healthy ride. This is my last semester at OSF and I hope to create as many memories as possible. Oasis Skateboard Factory is my true oasis.

The inspiration for this deck comes from many brands stretching from Girl Skateboards, Plan B, Welcome Skateboards and Quasi Skateboards. Recently these brands have been doing a lot of graphics with woodgrain showing through. It's been inspiring me to think about using the wood as part of the graphic. I've always left woodgrain showing because it's Homespun's way of honouring the tree. I chose pink and blue to show that you can have more fun with colour on a skateboard. I was also inspired by the pink and blue magic eraser because it reminds me of my childhood and doodling. I added little cartoons to the art to give it my own style. I've drawn the dinosaur character my whole life and it makes me really happy to put it on a skateboard. I'm going to incorporate the character into my brand to give it my own signature and set my art apart.

To build the board I used hard rock maple veneers from up North pressed using Roarockit technology. I used scrapers to scrape and shape the deck. I always do my boards by hand, never with power tools. For the graphic I used watered down acrylic paint to create the illusion of two different coloured stained veneers joined together. I did the outline on the character with sharpie watered down paint marker to make the design transparent and let the wood grain show through. I think it turned out really well. I like the gloss on it because it makes it feel like a professional board. You're going to be seeing a lot more of this style of artwork coming out frequently- I plan to make a lot of boards.
Image may contain: 1 person