Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, March 24, 2017

Sadness (by MADINUS)

Image may contain: 1 personThis is my first board of my third semester at OSF. I’ve lost count on
how many boards I’ve made at school, some for clients and a lot for my
brand MADINUS. MADINUS exists to release, embrace and celebrate our
inner freak show. This semester, I am breaking away from my brand
circus colours and expanding my brand identity into a variety of
product lines. This board fits into my product line under the slogan
“Tears to my MADINUS” which reflects the sadness in a freak show; this
is my attempt to dig deeper beyond the stereotypical imagery
associated with the freak show into a more personal, emotional realm.
My brand imagery has evolved from “circus’ to “freak show’ to
“carnival” over my time at OSF.

This board is inspired by a self-portrait. All the things that make me
happy are above the eyes, thinking about childhood memories. On the
bottom half of the board in the tears are things that are inspired by
temptations and more twisted thoughts. The variety of symbols together
shows a range of images developed from my sketchbook doodles. The
small images work together to create a repeating pattern of designs.
The board is made from Canadian maple that I hand-painted with
acrylics.

I like how the board came together because it is a reflection of me. I
am also excited about how this board takes me in a new direction with
my brand!