Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Blade (by @WOLFSBANE_ART)


Blade (by @WOLFSBANE_ART)

I'm back at OSF to graduate this semester and I am launching a new
brand: WOLFSBANE exists to poison cold corporate culture. My new brand
uses imagery of different poisonous plants from nature with human-made
machinery to create a discomfort in the viewer. This is the first in a
series of art boards cut into deadly shapes that I will be making this
year.
The design challenge I was given was to incorporate an innovation or
something I haven't done before into my skateboard. I pressed a
standard pintail shape and then jigsawed out a Bowie knife shape. I
further shaped the board by hand with files. I stained the handle with
an acrylic paint wash. I spray painted the blade and left negative
space to do an acrylic wash in the Venus Fly Trap spaces. I finished
the graphic by adding details like the rivets and highlights in the
plants.
Overall, I am super stoked about how this board turned out. I was able
to push my woodworking skills to create this custom shape; I learned
more about using different paints and application techniques. I feel
really satisfied that I was able to come up with a concept and execute
it successfully.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing