Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Hellfire Gem Goat



Image may contain: 1 person

















Hellfire Gem Goat
This is my second semester at OSF working on my brand Crewel Intentions. My brand exists to recreate old art forms in new ways. On this board I used the traditional technique of wood burning, but I incorporated it into painting in a more graphic way by exaggerating
the burned lines instead of subtle shading. I used traditionally thin
water colour paint like acrylic opaque paint on this board to get
vibrant jewel tones; the gems and the goat are painted in thin layers
to get many tones that blend together. I super glossed this to
highlight the textured surface and make it look more alive.
I had a hard time coming up with an idea for my first board of the
semester, but Nik @concept_sk8boardz suggested a “hellfire goat” to keep with my brand theme of cute and disturbing animals. My goat has an interesting tension: This goat has a hoard of beautiful gemstones
like a dragon’s treasure, and the goat itself is cute until you notice
the blood splattered horns. This greedy goat would kill you for
whatever it wants!
I am very surprised this board turned out so well. I was worried that
my work would be lopsided from my previous experience applying design
templates onto the wood, but this time I drew directly on to it before wood burning the lines. I am happy with the balance and proportions of the graphic. I want to use this style of painting again because I think it’s effective to communicate the aesthetics of my brand.