Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

New mini from @_atlastofficial…


Image may contain: 1 person, standing

























This is my final semester at OSF. My brand is ATLAST and we exist to celebrate that we’re lost.

This graphic is inspired by the 80’s, motels and “beachy” vibes. I also gathered a lot of inspiration for this piece from American traditional tattoos and folk art.

This image to me is a representation of my ridiculous childlike fears that I’ve outgrown, my current fears that I’ll probably think are stupid 5 years from now and my future fears that are lurking waiting to come and bite me at the most unexpected of times.

I created this design using Gouache. This was my first time using gouache on wood and I found that it created a beautiful flatness on such a textured canvas. The problem with gouache is that it is a very unforgiving medium in terms of shading, for this I created depth in my image using strategic stippling.

I pressed this deck out of a Roarockit Mini kit using a pre-stained dark brown face veneer. I then shaped and sanded the deck until it was ready for a graphic.

Overall I really enjoyed playing with gouache on this mini. I especially value the contrast between the opacity of the gouache and the transparency of the stain. I will definitely be using gouache in the future!