Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, November 17, 2017

MAD.IN.US


Strong colours and graphics, a sophisticated youthfulness and feminine energy define my brand MAD.IN.US. It’s been 2 years in the making, and occupies a lot of my time and imagination. I work best secluded in my basement.

Lil Uzi’s current hit song XO Tour Lif3 was the starting point for the imagery on my board. It’s part of my 90s capsule collection and is based on
a vintage Polly Pocket compact.

I used a mini board with a tape stencil and different spray paint styles. I applied the colour using spatter technique and I built up a bas relief effect by multiple sprayings of certain areas. The lettering is my self-drawn font and appears in my logo. I chose the dark background in order to make the image of the fire pop, and to give simplicity to the overall design. I framed the central image with the roughly symmetrical shapes of the fire.

I wanted to grab the viewer’s attention when I drew the fire and the corpses in the pool. The lyrics of the song just fit right in.

I’ve never done tape stencil before for a personal board, so I am going to use that technique again. Applying acrylic paint onto the already sprayed board is not something I would do in the future.

This board will be for sale at our upcoming January 26 pop up shop @anomaly and don’t forget to check me out on Instagram @mad.in.us

🔥 🔥 🔥

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and outdoor