Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

SNARE STREET ART


Image may contain: 1 person




















I’m 18 years old and this is my first semester at OSF. My brand is Snare Street Art and it exists to expose the beauty of street art to the general public. Street Art has a lot of negative connotations associated with violence and gangs, but I think it’s an art form that is accessible to anyone no matter what your class or status in life is. This is the first board for my brand, it’s a mini board with a retro shape.
First I glued hard rock Canadian Maple veneers together and pressed it on a Roarockit vacuum bag. Since this was my first time woodworking, I never realized how hard it was to make the curved edges even. To start the graphic, I painted the board black. To make my brand logo as a
noose I made a simple stencil out of masking tape. I used two different colours of Montana Black brand spray paint to give it a speckle effect. I used paint marker to outline and add finishing
touches. I added an OSF bubble letter throw up on the kick since this was my first board at this school to show mad love!
I realized that after I was done that there is a slight delam which I will fix by forcing some glue into it and clamping it. I’m pretty happy with this board in general and I will do even better next time. I’m looking forward to working for a client and selling my first board.