Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Friday, November 17, 2017

SUS

Image may contain: 1 person, shoes


























I'm 17 years old and this is my first semester at OSF. I'm interested in underground fashion and reworking used clothing
into new styles. My brand is Sus, it exists to create DIY grungy
fashion and accessories.

My first deck is inspired by Tumblr fashion and obviously by Hello
Kitty. I like Hello Kitty because I've seen some of my favourite rap
artists using the cute image in a alternative way, creating a cute and
edgy aesthetic. I took the character and put my own take on it by
putting a teddy bear in her arms with X's for eyes.

I pressed the board with a Roarockit vacuum bag and did all of the
wood working by hand. To create the graphic I used tape stencils and
spray paint. To add my own personality I embedded glitter in the deck.
I sprinkled it on the deck and sealed it in with gloss.

The graphic uses the principles of design of emphasis and movement. I
created emphasis by placing the character in the centre of the board
and movement by placing stars in groups of threes in an "S" curve down
the board to draw your eye around the deck and give it flow.

Overall I had fun making the deck but I also learned a lot, like if
you cut too deep through the tape you leave scratch marks. I also
learned that it's easy to cut your fingers! I'm getting used to using
a new tool. I was really happy with the glitter effect and would love
to do it again but I'm even more interested in printing a vinyl
sticker for my next deck.