Why be bored in school? Go to a Skateboard School! This Toronto District School Board alternative school design program helps students earn high school credits and graduate by creating their own brand and running a skateboard business / professional design studio. OASIS SKATEBOARD FACTORY (OSF) "ON THE GRIND": TDSB's ART & ENTREPRENEURSHIP O.G.s since 2006!

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

deface clothes

My brand is “deface clothes”. My brands purpose is to destroy hierarchies within the fashion world.
The theme for my skateboard has to do with “deface”, and also native Canadian issues. Although I am not native myself, I wanted to incorporate an aspect of it into my board. The middle graphic is a painting hanging saying “manifest destiny”, and the word “deface” sprayed over top of it, and under it says “is a lie”. My opinion on the issue is pretty clear. The crime scene tape is too add an interesting graphic aspect over the whole board. My inspiration came from hearing some grim news about the treatment of native Canadians, to this day and age.
The board was pressed and painted by me. I used spray paint to do the bottom graphic, and a bit of a paint marker. The elements of design I used was line and colour. I used the lines to create an “Z” shape to hold the consumers eyes. The message I’m trying to communicate with this board is that the concept of manifest destiny is a fallacy, and that they can’t protect it forever.
My first skateboard turned out better then I had thought. What I learned during the time making it, is that the woodwork and painting should be done a bit faster, and that you should go into the first stage of board construction with a template already finished. My next steps are to develop my brand aesthetic and work on gaining client boards.


Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and shoes